Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the deductible?

A: The deductible is the portion of any claim that is not covered by the insurance provider. As an example, if you have a $200 deductible and your vehicle's damages total $500, your insurance company will pay $300 and you will be responsible for paying the remainder of the amount, in this case, $200.

Q: What if the total damages are less than the deductible?

A: You will be responsible for paying the entire cost of the repair since you agreed in your policy to be liable for costs up to the amount of the deductible.

Q: Does the deductible apply even if I am not at fault in the accident?

A: Not if the other vehicle owner's insurance company pays. If not, then the deductible will be applied in all cases and you will be required to pay the deductible by your insurance company.

Q: Is there any way that I can recover the deductible?

A: Yes. Subrogation by your insurance company may result in recovery of your deductible, or small claims court action can be taken. Subrogation refers to circumstances in which an insurance company tries to recoup expenses for a claim it paid out when another party should have been responsible for paying at least a portion of that claim.

Q: How long does it take to recover my deductible?

A: Each insurance company has its own policies and procedures. Recovering your deductible depends on the specific circumstances as well as the policies of both your insurance company and the insurance company of the other party involved in the accident.

Q: What if my repair shop says they cannot fix the damage for the amount of the Insurance Company's estimate or if additional damage was discovered that was not included in the insurance adjuster's estimate?

A: Ask to speak to the insurance adjuster's supervisor. If the adjuster's supervisor does not give you an acceptable response, you may log a complaint with the New York State Insurance Department at 212-602-0203 or 212-480-4693.

Q: Who will repair my car?

A: You may choose any repair facility that is convenient for you.

Q: What should I do if I am not happy with the way my car is repaired?

A: You should discuss the problem with the shop owner. If you are still not satisfied, you may file a grievance with the Department of Motor Vehicles (N.Y.S. D. M. V.) at 1-800-342-5368 or 518-486-9748.

Q: Why must the lien holder be included on my payment draft?

A: Until your vehicle is completely paid off, both you and the lien holder have a financial interest in the car. Therefore, the lien holder is listed as a payee in your insurance policy.

Q: What is betterment?

A: This is the dollar amount taken off of the current cost of certain replacement parts that wear out through normal use and need to be replaced during the life of the vehicle.

Q: Why is the repair shop named on my check?

A: If you signed a "Direction to Pay" for the shop, their name may be on the check.

Q: Who do I contact if I have other claim questions not related to this estimate?

A: Call the claim representative at your insurance company. They should be able to answer all of your car insurance related questions.